Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Learning and Latke's

Wow, it's been some time since I last posted. I did end up heading up to my mom's for a week. It was what I needed. It was stress free and yet a learning experience. I learned that you appreciate the small things when you have to work for it. I actually liked bringing in wood for the woodstove and I enjoyed washing the dishes by hand. That's of course in small doses. When I got back, our dishwasher wasn't working, so it was another week of washing dishes by hand. I appreciate my dishwasher more now too! The simple ways of living bring a sense of meaning and purpose that you don't get from modern conveniences. However, I also learned that I'm still a spoiled city girl.

After my vacation, I came back home with my mom in tow. She was going to be coming down for a couple weeks a few days after I left anyway, so it was just easier for her to come down with me. We had a big family dinner a couple days ago to celebrate Chanukah, so I was quite busy. I haven't been able to get back into routine and take control of my house until just yesterday afternoon. And those are my reasonings for not writing in three weeks.

Yesterday I had my final creative writing class. It was a good class; I learned many tips - mostly on techniqe, discipline, management and getting my brain to think creatively. I learned a lot and the workshops were amazing. I was able to not just have a point of view on my writing aside from my own, but I was able to see how others write and learn techniques that they have. I have direction as well, which I never had before. Before I decide on whether or not to take another course (they aren't cheap) I think I need to spend more time on honing my skills and practicing the discipline and direction I've learned in this course.

I think that with that, I'm going to head off for now. There are a lot of ideas and thoughts in my head so if I can steal the time, I'll try and write another post today. Until next time...

No comments: